“A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy”


Wednesday, February 25

Career Builder

It's been a busy week of looking for a job. I met yesterday with a headhunter who was exceptionally nice. She's very hopeful and thinks she has some leads already. Also, I found out exactly how "old school" I am.

You see, the last time I updated my resume and looked for a job, the standard was that your resume shouldn't be over one page in length. Seems that has completely changed. She was mystified after speaking to me as to why I hadn't included all the information I gave her in my resume. I explained that I only had so much room in order to keep it under one page. She laughed and told me no one does that anymore. *sigh* Showing my age there.

She's going to help me extend it. Not that this should be too hard. It was difficult just to keep it to one page, so making it longer is easier.

I've been contacted by a few people. Mostly sales positions for insurance agencies. Not my bag. Sorry, but I couldn't sell air in a bottle to my mother. I've also been contacted by the Navy. Seems they think I would make a good Intel officer. Sounds all peachy, but I'm not up for leaving my family for months at a shot yet. If I don't find something soon, though, that may start to look more attractive.

1 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I'm in the one-page geriatric resume group too. I guess the kidz these days are so overflowing with self-esteem they have to compete based on mass-quantity paper attacks. Humbug.
Good luck with the job hunt, last time I went looking it took about 9-months, but that's just what Silicon Vally is like and my oldtimer skill-set. After the last layoff I didn't even begin to look so now I'm a house-husband...