“A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy”


Wednesday, December 2

Important Safety Tip for Employers

I can put up with virtually any behavior from an employer, and I think most people would agree. In any job, there is a certain amount of BS that goes with the territory. That's the price you pay for gainful employment.

If you are an employer, let me give you a little advice. The one thing I particularly am annoyed to the point of telling you to "shove it" is this: DO NOT SET PROCEDURES AND THEN BLAME EMPLOYEES FOR FOLLOWING THEM.

Let me give an example.

If Procedure A is the procedure you expect me to follow when performing my job, and I do so, when you change to Procedure B, do not go back to the days before Procedure B was put in place and hold me accountable for it. This is plainly asinine.

Yet this is a mistake I see constantly. My current employer has done this, and all of my previous ones have as well. Seriously, what the hell is this?

I've been a manager for 15 years. I have never heaped scorn upon one of my employees for doing things the way I asked them to prior to changing my expectations (and informing them of the changes). That's another beef, but I'll save it for later.

*sigh* Anyway...Don't be a jerk. If you're going to put a policy in place, don't blame the employee for following it. If they screw up after you change the policy, that's different, but don't blame them for following the policy at the time.

That is all. Rant off. Thank you for your time.

0 comments: