“A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy”


Wednesday, December 16

Shopping Around

I was playing with various online car builders from some manufacturers the other night and the results really surprised me.

In setting up the vehicles I was interested in the way I wanted them, I was given suggested pricing.  Some of the manufacturer's sites were more friendly and usable than others, but they all basically accomplished the same thing.

I went from building sports cars to pick-ups, and what surprised me was the sports cars were cheaper than anything.

I played for a while on Dodge's website.  I built a new Challenger, a Grand Caravan, and a Ram 1500.  The Ram was the most expensive of the three, and I didn't skimp on options on any (if you're gonna dream, dream big).

Next, I traveled over to Chevy's website, and played with the Camaro's build site.  By far, Chevrolet has the best site for choosing options and building a car.  It shows the changes you make as you make them. 

I tried Ford's site and built myself an F150.  This was the most expensive of all the vehicle builds I played with, which really shocked me.  Nice truck, but geeze, I don't think I'd want to pay half as much as I would for a house (slight exaggeration). 

Lastly, I tried the Hummer site.  The H3 I put together, even with off-road package, came in firmly in the middle of the pack money-wise.

Of all the vehicles I played with, the least expensive ones built the way I wanted were the Challenger and the Camaro.  I wouldn't kick either out of bed for eating crackers.

0 comments: