“A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy”


Tuesday, October 20

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

I recently interviewed for a position as IT Director of a bank. Admittedly, this was a bit of a stretch for me, so the whole thing was a long-shot in my book.

The IT Director-thingy I could swing. IT is IT, just about anywhere you go. Since I deal with issues all over the world, I can certainly testify about this. I don't care what language you speak or what OS you use, your problems are recognizable. But banking? Talk about your final frontiers.

Needless to say, I have zilch experience when it comes to banking-specific IT issues, but I played up my ability to learn and adapt quickly. Network security, check. Network stability, check. ATM maintenance, not so much.

Well, I got word yesterday that I was in the running but was aced out by someone with a background in banking.

I can't say I'm not disappointed. It would have been a fantastic opportunity to learn new things, and as we all know, anything new is good. (Gratuitous Groundhog Day reference)

0 comments: