“A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy”


Monday, October 19

And What Are You Doing for Halloween?



Every year I try to convince the family to all dress up in some sort of theme for Halloween, and every year I fail miserably. That's OK. I'm not bitter.

This year, the kids are going as a motley variety of Bakugan, High School Musical, and Witches of Waverly Place. Naturally, I was having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what I could go as to fit in with such a wild bunch.

I wanted to go as Mike Rowe (of Dirty Jobs fame), but then, what would the wife dress up as? See, Mrs. Mad isn't really a Halloween sort-of gal. She dresses up but only to humor me. Usually she picks something exceptionally easy to do (and very minamilistic). One year, when I went as Elmer Fudd from the Night at the Opera episode (Speaw and magic Hewmet!), she wore grew sweats and bunny ears. Yep, Bugs. Well, since she wanted to play that way, I thought I could go as Mike Rowe and put her into pink sweats with a pig nose and ears.

My suggestion did not go over well.

So instead, I've been wracking my brains trying to figure something out. I thought I'd come up with something classic, so I showed the wife. I've got this old wig/beard combo I bought for a Gandalf costume a few Halloweens ago. It's big and bushy. I put it on, put a red ballcap over the top, a Hawaiian shirt, and said, "Look, honey, I'm a Beach Boy!"

She shot me down quickly.

But, she did offer a suggestion. Keep the beard/wig/ballcap combo, wear my Bubba-Gump t-shirt (one of my favorite restaurants), and put on some jogging shorts. Instant Forrest Gump!

So I'm going as Forrest this Halloween. I can't wait to have the kids embarrassed to be seen with me as I run up and down the neighborhood yelling "Jeeeeeennnnnaaaaay!" and "I got to pee!"

Still the question begs, what's the Mrs. going as? Anyone have any suggestions?

0 comments: